Over the past 2 weeks, I have grown to actually enjoy my job at GE. Granted...today could have been better...but overall I like what I do there. Now that I have gotten my bearings (literally, hahahahaha) and have been given more responsibility (it seems like it was all thrown on me at once, actually, which was quite overwhelming at first), I walk into work with a sense of confidence and excitement. I learn new things every day, and I get to talk to a lot of people about things I need them to do for me, or ask them questions about things I don't know how to do, or stuff like that. I enjoy getting to talk to different people, it adds a different flavor to every day that I am never ready for. This job has been good, overall.
Although, it has taken me a long time to fit in with the rest of the interns. 250 of them (out of 300 total) live at the apartments at Mercyhurst, because they are from another town far away that discourages commuting from home. Being a commuter intern is what I imagine being a commuter student is like. I feel like they all know each other and have a secret life outside of the fences of the GE complex. And they do. Every night, when I go home and clean my room or eat dinner with my parents, they are hanging out with each other and getting to know one another better. It is like a secret club that I wasn't invited to, and I feel left out. Those of you who are commuters at college probably know how I feel.
I am slowly becoming a part of the culture, however. I joined a Relay for Life team just so I would be mandated to spend an entire weekend with at least 10 other interns, and I have gotten to know a couple from sitting at random picnic tables during lunch. Though I am still an outsider, I am slowly making my way in. God has helped me to have great conversations with the ones I have met, and I hope to do a lot of good through my team at Relay for Life. I think bonding together to help out such an awesome cause will be a great thing :-).
That's all. Not as insightful as it could have been, but I am exhausted and it's past my bedtime.
Have a good night all!
A Lighter Soul
11 years ago
1 comment:
I wouldn't have survived college if I had to commute. I'm very thankful that I was able to live on campus, be plugged in, and get to hang out with cool people like you!
I'm glad to hear work is going well. Telecommuting, although is great on gas mileage, can be very straining on productivity and sociality. (Yes, I just made up a word.) It would be great to see my coworkers more often, I think.
Post a Comment