Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A career?

I realized early this week that I have NO IDEA where I will be at this time next year. There is absolutely nothing certain about my location on September 16, 2010. I could be in grad school in any number of places, or I could be working in a number of places, or I could be a bum without either ... living at home because the economy still is terrible and not conducive to finding jobs. I have no idea what next year will bring. Scary? Incredibly.

Tomorrow I am going to state college for their fall career days. Apparently it's a big deal, somebody I was talking to yesterday said that Penn State has the largest career fair in America. Not sure if I can believe that or not...but I do know that it will be huge. The career fair webpage suggests looking at 5 of the top companies you want to apply to. There is a list of 157 companies attending that are looking for mechanical engineers... and I have never even heard of 3/4 of them!

I don't know how to choose these things. I will pretty much look at the job description, figure out if I like it, and write it down...maybe coming up to 5 by the end of all 157 companies. If I have trouble finding those companies, I will simply roam around for 5 hours, talking to as many people as I can. The overall goal is to land an interview, and after that interview is to land a job. Hopefully at a place that I would like to work at someday.

Grad school may be my number one choice right now, but I never know where the Lord will take me. I could get the PERFECT job for me offered immediately. I could get no job offers, but get offered free grad school by 8 people (exagerrated a bit, but whatever). Who knows...but it's always good to keep my options open. Regardless, this whole thing is slightly overwhelming right now. I will definitely be tired of talking to people by 6pm tomorrow night. Plus, I have to wear a suit and heels. Yuck.

2 comments:

Toaster4JC said...

I love you Moll Moll and I will be praying for you throughout the day today. Have a great day! :) And yes, yuck to heels all day. They can be ok for like 1 hour every once in a while :-P.

Jarryn said...

...Or you could end up in South Korea teaching English ;)

But really. You're in my prayer and you know you'll be exactly where you need to be this time next year. :-)