Grad school is not the same as regular college. In case any of you wondered. It's a full-time job, plus classes that are way harder, with the added stress of commuting to both of these locations. Not gonna lie, nothing reminds you of how out-of-practice your differential equation solving skills more than a heat conduction class that requires you derive (and then solve) every differential equation you use. And Cartesian tensor notation, divergences, Gauss' theorem, Jacobians, and whatever that was that she derived today in class? We might have touched on those topics a little bit in fluids class a few years ago, but we only used them a few times, and never had to prove their existence for a test. Ugh. And did I mention that I also have a job? It's sort of required, unless of course I want to pay tuition. And next semester when/if I get a research assistantship, my job will be to be in that lab all the time. 40 hours a week, baby. I'm pumped.
On the other hand, ballet class has been lots of fun and make my Mondays really great. I randomly ran into Susan earlier this week, caught up with her, and discovered a new awesome study location. I met JoePa's wife at a Catholic Campus Ministry event on Sunday. I now have more than 3 friends. I have a favorite bus driver, an have decoded some of the bus driver radio lingo (C&A means College & Allen...haha). I had a really good grocery shopping experience this past Sunday, and because of that have been eating wonderfully this week (for lunch I packed myself mixed greens and crumbled feta cheese with balsamic vinaigrette dressing, with a side of yogurt mixed with a nectarine that I chopped up and sprinkled on top. I think that I am going to try much harder not to eat as crappily as I have in the past). Today I bought pom poms to take to the football game on Saturday.
Life is good.
A Lighter Soul
11 years ago
3 comments:
Moll Moll! We have Jacobians too!!! Just today in my statistics class! Oh, and Gauss also reminds me of something we did in our mathcamp :) I know how you feel though. I have only 2 classes and they take up all of my time (well, almost) and so with your 3 classes (or 4?) and a job, I can imagine to be overwhelmed a lot... Just a couple more years though and then you will be able to loosen up your schedule :) :)
I miss you and I am coming back to Erie on Jan 9th! :)
Love,
Ellie
Haha, yeah I've learned that Jacobians are easy, she just expected us to know what they were before we walked into class and I had to look through a few books to figure it out. I'm excited you have them too!! And you probably did do something with Gauss in your math camp, because he was an incredibly smart dude who has like 23498623 theorems. :-)
I only have 2 classes too. Except the one class has enough topics in it to count for 2 or 3.
How long are you going to be in Erie on January 9th? Because the 8th I will be in Illinois for Dan Kubacki's wedding, and I start classes again on the 10th in State College. So you should visit State College while you are visiting Erie. I am clearly more important than Jason. Just sayin ;-).
Wow, I had no clue Dan was getting married! But then you won't be in Erie... :(. Well I will be staying until the 15th and I could go down to UP, but I won't have a car... I will come on the 9th in the afternoon though - I am flying in at midnight on the 8th into Pittsburgh, so I think I will be sleeping in on Sunday :) Could you just leave Fairview on Monday instead? ;)
I hope to figure something out so that we can meet!
I miss you Molly and good luck with all the men's theorems :)
Post a Comment