Today there was sunshine. And if you've ever lived in or been to
It’s amazing how much my mood lifts when the sun is out. I notice it in other people, too. My classmates are much chattier during class, I get smiles from total strangers while I walk past them, and my suitemate gets very optimistic that she might be able to go biking soon. Little things like that make me smile during these first days of spring.
Why is it that we get so downtrodden when we experience a lack of sun? It’s not like it goes anywhere…it just hides behind the clouds for a few months at a time. But it’s hard for us to see through the clouds, and it’s so easy to feel like the sun will never come out again, and to let that affect out lives. I know I do. Seeing that sun shine through my window this morning made me actually WANT to get out of bed in the morning and attack the day.
So, I tend to think in metaphors, so here’s one for you. What about the Son? I mean, the sun makes our days brighter (literally), shouldn’t He also? He is always there, even when we can’t see Him hiding behind the clouds. Of course, Jesus doesn’t hide behind real clouds (well, maybe, but I’m not here to talk about the geographical location of heaven), but he hides behind the figurative clouds that cloud our lives. Clouds can be hard tests, broken relationships, fading friendships, stress with work, or real-life clouds that rain on us while we’re walking to class. We can sometimes only see those things, and it’s hard to see through them to the real Son, the real reason for the brightness in our day… and we forget. Our days become mediocre, dull, and saddened without Him, just like they do without the real sun shining down upon us. We forget He’s there, and it’s easy to believe that He never was, and never will be again.
Except, it’s not like it’s His fault that we forget He’s there. He is ALWAYS there, no matter what. We just need to stop focusing on those dumb clouds, and actually acknowledge His awesome existence in our lives (daily prayer/bible time, much?). I can go sledding in the dark, and I can dance in the rain. Why then, do I have such trouble focusing on my amazing Father when I just got that test back and the grade is a 75? Instead of saying things in anger to that friend who hurt me, why can’t I ask for His guidance on what to say? All I have to do is know He’s there, behind all the metaphorical clouds that mess up my life.
This is easier said than done to be sure, but something to ponder. I’ve gotten better, but I’m not perfect, nor will I ever be. But I strive to be able to look those clouds in the face and say “Ha! Even though you’re blocking my view of the sun, I can still live my life abundantly, because I won't forget that the Son is always there!”
Take that, Satan. :-)
2 comments:
love the metaphor :)
That was awesome, Molly!!!
<3 Kristen
Post a Comment