"I will seek You in the morning, and I will learn to walk in Your ways. And step by step You'll lead me. And I will follow You all of my days."
As I listened to this song, surrounded by hundreds of people who had chosen to dedicate their weekend to a great cause to save lives and a candle light service with the brisk summer breeze blowing my hair across my face, I couldn't have felt more right. The word "HOPE" was written across the bleachers of my old high-school football stadium. White paper bags filled with candles and decorated to honor a lost loved one to cancer encircled the silent crowd.
The best part was that, many of these people weren't even christians. They had this service and played the very christian songs and had a pastor open in prayer for those lost and struggling with the disease, but the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life is focused on the hope for those with cancer, not the hope that can be found in Christ. But the awesome part is, it was encorporated into the service anyway, because the two go so hand-in-hand. This hope that they speak of, where does it come from? Well, Jesus, of course. It was very tricky, and I think the service was un-knowingly very evangelical. It portrayed the message that God gives us hope to fight on. To remember those who have been lost. To make a difference for the future.
As I walked around the track in silence, listening to the lyrics, "my chains are gone, I've been set free. My God, my Savior, has ransomed me," I got to thinking. He has set us free, and in the midst of all the suffering that we see today, he still gives us that hope. Not having hope is exactly like a huge chain and shackle, because you will never go anywhere without it.
Step by step...He will lead us right where we need to go. I caught the irony that we were there to walk around a track for 24 hours.
It is terrible all the people we have lost due to cancer, and even more terrible the additional lives we will continue to lose. But in the midst of it all, there is a shining light that gives us hope. A hope that reminds us that we have been set free, and that the only right thing to do is give that hope light to shine and share it with those around us. We can remember the lost, and look to the future with courage and enthusiasm.
Oh, and sunrises from the Fairview High School track are beautiful :-).
A Lighter Soul
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment