Today I impulse-bought a pair of 30-dollar gloves. It wasn't planned, or really needed, it just happened because it took less time to walk to Panera from the library than I had previously expected. So when I got downtown with 15 minutes to spare before I met some classmates for some pre-exam dinner, I decided to go into the Eddie Bauer store. And my hands were cold. So I bought these gloves.
I can almost afford doing things like this now, since instead of having a negative income I am being paid to come to grad school. With the added inflation of not having started paying off my student loans yet (going to grad school defers them, yes!), I feel like I have more money than I ever have before. It's slightly awesome, but also dangerous, because I actually don't have that money. Instead, I owe a whole lot of money to Penn State and loan companies, about the same amount of money that I will see in my first year's salary when I get a real job out of grad school. I hope buying this one pair of expensive gloves isn't a "gateway drug" to more impulse-bought gloves. If I impulse-buy every pair of 30-dollar gloves I see then, well, I'll be broke with lots of gloves I don't need.
They are the most comfortable, warm, and awesome gloves I've ever worn. And they're stretchy so my hands don't feel constricted, and they have grip-ies on the fingers so I can use them for driving/biking/etc. And the grip-ies are shaped like snowflakes. Those $1 cotton wal-mart gloves I've been wearing for my entire life have nothing on these gloves. I am pretty excited for winter :-). Now I just need to find my snow boots and I'll be ready for anything!
Have you ever impulse-purchased something crazy?
A Lighter Soul
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment