Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Celebrate. Remember. Fight Back.


http://main.acsevents.org/goto/mollyeberly

So, I have never been the kind of person to ask others for money. I mean, honestly, I was the worst girl scout cookie seller ever, just because I hated asking people to give me their well-earned money to have some cookies instead (this was as a 9-year-old, mind you). I am blessed enough to stay financially self-sufficient (minus the whole health insurance thing, the parents still cover that), and have never really fundraised.

http://main.acsevents.org/goto/mollyeberly

Relay for Life raises money for the American Cancer Society, which supports cancer research. This is something I always kind of knew, but I never really took to heart until I participated in Relay for Life last summer. I mean, cancer is a scary thing. I have close friends who participated in THON the past 2 years. THON raises money to help the medical bills of kids with cancer, and hearing those stories absolutely brings me to tears every time. When I was with a friend two summers ago and she mentioned that the doctors thought she might have cancer, the look in her eyes was unforgettable. She was terrified. As I am sure everyone who has ever been told they have or may have cancer are. My grandpa didn't even tell my grandma that he had cancer until after her birthday, because he was afraid he would ruin it for her.

http://main.acsevents.org/goto/mollyeberly

Cancer changes lives forever, and often destroys. If I can make even a tiny contribution to the research that is trying to cure it, then bring it on! Some of my friends wanted to start a Relay for Life team for the event July 24-25, and I decided to join them. Though I already participated once this summer, I feel like you can never quite do enough when there are still people dying of this disease every day. I also feel like I didn't fundraise properly the first time. I actually have an online website where people can donate money this time around :-).

http://main.acsevents.org/goto/mollyeberly

I would like your help. If you would like to help me reach my fund raising goal for this awesome cause, go to the link below. It is something that is close to my heart, and I hope it becomes close to yours as well. I love you all, and really appreciate the support!

http://main.acsevents.org/goto/mollyeberly

P.S. All of these pictures are ones I took last year at Relay for Life. This year, it rained a lot so there weren't any pretty things to take pictures of. But look how beautiful the sunrise is :-). The sun can rise a little brighter the day we cure cancer.

No comments: