All of the streets in Columbus are one-way streets, which throws me off constantly. Today, I had to drive AROUND THE CORNER, and it took me ten minutes because I got turned around and couldn't get back to where I wanted because the one-way streets were taking me in the wrong direction. Oy. I'll figure it out soon, hopefully.
One of the people I am working directly under talked to me today because he noticed I have InterVarsity Christian Fellowship on my resume. He told me that he and his wife were members of Campus Crusade as college students, and that they have a few friends who went to work for InterVarsity staff after college. He then gave me the website for the church he goes to in case I was looking for one while I was here. Awesome! God totally has my back all the time, and it still throws me off when stuff like this happens! I did go to a pretty cool church this past Sunday, but I think I'm going to try his out this weekend.
The intern I work with is from the University of Buffalo. I think he's the intern that is from the closest to Erie, and we happen to work together. Weirdest thing ever. Everybody else seems to be from Indiana, Illinois, or Southern Ohio. At least the ones I've talked to. Nobody seems to be all too familiar with snow, at least not 120 inches.
I really want my roommates to get here. Living alone is lonely.
I took a walk tonight after work because it was beautiful outside. I am still stunned each time I walk outside and it's significantly warmer than the inside of the building I just emerged from. It's weird. As much as it pains me to pay for the electricity, I have to use air conditioning...there is just no way I will live in an apartment that is 85 degrees. And that's about how warm it's been every day since I've gotten here...between 85 and 90. The thermostat's set at 76, and even at 8:30 at night it's cooler than the outside air by a noticeable amount. It's so weird. Is Erie this warm yet?
I started my real job today, and I think I'm going to love it. Granted, the work itself is going to be boring as heck, but they have a specific plan for me to follow and a project that has a beginning, middle, and ending. I can do that. In the past (mostly at my internship two years ago), I've been given things one day at a time, none of it making any real connection to anything else. Even last summer's internship, which I loved, was a one-day-at a time type deal. Right now I know exactly what I have to work on for the entire summer, which is exciting. And I will be giving a presentation at the end.
Cummins is 100% more organized than GE is, hands down. Oh, and the cubicles don't look like they were created as an afterthought, there's actually organization to the way the buildings are laid out, and it looks nice. Walk into a GE office building, and you feel like you walked into a 100-year-old building with thrown-together temporary walls and paint chipping off the ceiling. Even the outside of the buildings look ancient. There was effort put forth in designing the interior of the building I work in now, and I enjoy that. The way the two companies function is very different. Not sure which one is more effective yet (does GE put more emphasis on the actual WORK being done than the way the buildings look and vice versa? Maybe. I can't tell. It could also be just the opposite, that the well-kept interior is a sign of a healthy and thriving working environment. Am I thinking about this too much?).
Anyway, it should be an adventurous summer :-)
A Lighter Soul
11 years ago
1 comment:
yay for God moments! those are always wonderful.
i hope you love your job and that you're not too hot all summer! i like when our apartment is hot, but Andrew doesn't :-P
Post a Comment