Senior week has been quite disappointing. I don't know what I expected, but I certainly expected it to be more fun and less lonely. I haven't been able to completely move home because I was still working at GE and the drive from fairview is miserable. I don't like to stay here all the time because none of my other roommates are here. My closest group of friends went on a camping trip without me (boys only), and one of my closest friends from classes got a girlfriend last week and is spending 100% of his time with her. He's having a great time, my friends who went camping had a great time, my other friend who is hanging out with her boyfriend all week is having a great time, my roommates are home so who knows how much fun they're having. All of my other friends aren't seniors and have gone home already. I feel like I'm alone on campus with nothing to do but pack and no one who wants to see me. And this is my last chance to see any of them. It's not fun.
On a happier note, last night was absolutely wonderful. I've been getting discouraged about my Christian fellowship here at Behrend, mostly because a year ago the shift of focus of the members changed from God to themselves, which led to a rapid decline in prayer, attendance at events, and friendship amongst members. It's been a challenge to see this changing dynamic, and was especially difficult on the last week, where 3 people showed up to say bye to the seniors. When I was a freshman, that group was as large as 40, and we sent off the seniors with well wishes, prayers, hugs, cake, and songs. Now that I'm a senior, me and Ellie were sent off with an awkward gathering of 3 other people that aren't particularly friendly with each other and ate some pizza and talked about finals.
So about last night. I went to Mercyhurst to see some friends that are involved in a Christian fellowship down there. Their worship gathering was fun and quaint. A small group of students, but you knew that they all loved each other deeply. Afterwards, there was a Bible study being held by a student on campus who had recently transferred to their school. I was expecting a similar quaint group of students, but before I knew it there were about 40 people in that room! Since it was the last week, he opened it up for people to give their testimonies about how God has been working in their lives this past year. I heard so many encouraging stories of people who were lost but found God through this very Bible study, students who still weren't sure but loved spending time with these people, and students who had become leaders and had grown immensely in their faith through this ministry. God is so good, and He is working at Mercyhurst. This Bible study didn't exist one year ago. And it has already changed the lives of so many. So. Awesome.
I'm excited for what the Lord will bring to Behrend next year. And what He will bring to my life in State College in the fall. I've heard the fellowships there have upwards of 300 people in them. Overwhelming? Yes. We'll see :-) I know I'll end up where I'm meant to be.
Oh, and I am moving to Indiana in exactly ONE WEEK! One of my roommates is bringing a puppy for the summer. I'm kind of excited about playing with it :-) I fear that my new job will be boring. I read the description, and it sounds like a sitting at a desk all day staring at my computer type job. Nowhere near as fun as the job I just left this morning. And they will be paying me less. Oh wellllll. It will be exciting anyway :-)
And in state college next year I already know 3 of my neighbors. Chad, Nick, and a friend Nick and I met at the graduate recruiting weekend are going to be living in the same apartment complex that I am together as roommates. It's a good thing I'm such a good friend and told them where I'd be living when they asked ;-). And helped them out when Chad had 1 million questions about the place while both of his future roommates were unable to be contacted. I'm excited about it, at least there will be a few familiar faces. And my friends won't be homeless (it was looking kinda scary there for a moment...I mean, it's MAY, and housing is in high demand in state college).
So now I have to go pack! I think today is the final day at school. Heading home tonight and not coming back. Sad :-(.
Have a good summer everybody!
A Lighter Soul
11 years ago
1 comment:
Love you Moll Moll!!! We should totally hang out next week before you leave, if you need anything for your apartment stop by our place we'll probably be able to hook you up!
Post a Comment