Monday, June 14, 2010

I hear the mighty thunder

One of my friends that I graduated with has a job in Bloomington, Indiana, which is 45 minutes from Columbus. After spending 2 weeks living in the same far-from-home location, we finally found the time to meet up, at Mike's Music & Dance Barn. The plan was to do some line dancing, eat some tasty food, and catch up on each others' lives since graduation. What ended up happening was slightly different, yet much better.

Line dancing was apparently canceled for the night, but instead they had a country/western band that also told jokes perform in to perform. They also didn't have their kitchen open, but offered a buffet for an exorbitant amount of money in addition to the entrance fee it cost to get in to see the band. Fine, whatever, I paid for both (I was STARVING).

My roommate, my Behrend friend, and I played pool. For approximately....2 hours. My roommate and I learned that in order to beat him, we had to gang up on him. I think I won one game, she won another, and he won all the rest. Oh well, we got to chat about one anothers' lives and learn about our mutual thoughts about the south part of Indiana. Our reactions are almost identical: It's HOT here!!

And then the power went out. At that point, pool was no longer an option since we couldn't see the table anymore, so the three of us ran to the window to check out the massive storm that had approached. Lightning was EVERYWHERE, which is kind of scary considering we are technically in Tornado Alley. We talked about tornadoes, the thought of driving home in this scariness, and how hot it was getting in the building since the air conditioning had shut off. It kind of felt like we were having a campfire, except instead of a campfire it was lightning. The best part was, the country western band was largely acoustic, so they kept right on playing for an hour afterwards. The last song they sang was "How Great Thou Art," which was so perfect for that moment; with the thunder, lightning, and rain crashing about us.

O Lord my God,

When I in awesome wonder

Consider all

The works Thy Hand hath made,

I see the stars,

I hear the mighty thunder,

Thy pow'r throughout

The universe displayed


I sang along with the band (so did much of the crowd), my friends listened in silence, and that was the end of the night. We said goodbye and promised to come back one day when there actually was line dancing. I hope we do :-).


3 comments:

Deg said...

You should hear Bill play that song at our church! He totally rocks the rolling thunder part!

Unknown said...

your adventures rarely don't amaze me.
-Zack

Toaster4JC said...

That's awesome! :) I would been sad about no line dancing though :)