Monday, June 7, 2010

Just kidding

This morning:

My alarm goes off at 5:00am
I press snooze until 5:30am
I get up, get dressed, brush my teeth, eat some yogurt, read some Bible
I get in my car at about 6:20. Even though I have printed a google map of the blocks surrounding the Columbus Municipal Airport, I type the address into my GPS also, just in case.
I arrive at the airport at 6:37am (whoops, I'm 7 minutes late).
I notice that this airport is absolutely in the middle of a cornfield. Surprising? Not anymore.
I park in the creepy side parking lot and walk to the Cummins hanger, show my employee ID badge, and sit in the comfy waiting chairs next to my coworkers and some other fellow employees that work for other departments. I haven't met them yet.
We board the plane at about 6:50.
I have a minor heart attack because it's been awhile (2 months!!) since I've done this. Luckily, I still remember how to fasten my seatbelt.
I meet the lady next to me. She has a son who is an intern at Cummins, also. He probably got the job because she works there.
I watch the pilots fiddle with the switches (they don't close the cabin doors when it's not a commercial flight!).
I watch them fiddle with the same switches too often, and hear a few emergency "beep" sounds. We haven't moved an inch yet.
The pilots tell us that there's a problem and request that we exit the plane so they can sort it out. They will keep us updated. It is 7:05. Wheels up was scheduled for 7:00am.
The pilot informs us at about 7:20 that there's a problem with the engine starter valve. It may take 1-2 hours to fix. He will once again keep us updated, but if we decide to leave, he understands. If he walks back in the waiting room and everybody is gone, he guesses he's not flying today. I liked the pilot, he was fun :-)
About 2 people leave. My group decides to wait at least until the next update.
Pilot comes back at about 7:35. They will have to completely replace the valve, which will take until 9:00 at the earliest to fix. The flight is an hour and a half, the engine plant is half an hour away from the airport once we get there, and so the best possible time of arrival at RMEP is 11:00am. Most likely it will be 12:00 or later. We are still scheduled for a return flight leaving there at 4:30.
My group decides to leave, it's not worth the wait. Some of the people in other groups decide to stay, but some of them leave also. We drive individually in our cars 7 miles to the office and start working by 7:45am.
My coworker gets a call at about 8:30am. Apparently, the airplane took off at 8:10 with about 5 passengers (of the original 19). 9:00 at the earliest? I guess not.
I have an average day at work, and get a surprisingly large amount accomplished. Except I am dressed in jeans and steel-toed boots for the day because I was expecting an engine plant filled day, but instead have an office filled day. It's all good, I finish 2 Pro-E measurements and polish off my research on exhaust manifolds!

I am probably going to go to bed now.

No comments: