Also, I am thinking of this:



It has been 2 years since I last danced. The longest consecutive period of time I have gone away from a dance class since I was 6 years old. I miss it, so much that I spent the day looking up dance studios/clubs in state college so that I might get back into the swing of dancing. At one point in my life I had dreams of becoming a professional ballerina. Granted, I see now that it wouldn't have happened for lots of reasons (I don't have quite those skills, or the commitment, or the willingness to move around and/or work as a bartender while looking for dancing jobs, I'd like to have the option of having children without jeopardizing my entire life, girls who are completely self-absorbed are really difficult for me to get along with, and I love greasy hamburgers and milkshakes too much). As much as I'd love to be the girl in the photo below, it just wasn't meant to be.
Engineering was the right choice. But quitting dance was the hardest thing ever. I still miss it. And I want to be able to dance a little bit while I'm a grad student. In high school I spent 20+ hours a week at that studio, while also being a full-time student and having a part-time job. In college I struggled sophomore year to spend 4 hours a week at the studio in the midst of my classes, and decided to stop there before my college classes got even harder and more demanding (it was more of a social struggle than a time commitment struggle...those girls did not respect me when I was barely at the studio the same way they did when I spent all of my time there, and they sure let me know it. It's funny how the same people will treat you completely differently in different scenarios). I think I am ready to start afresh this fall in a completely new setting. Plus, I need some way to stay in shape...I will be very close to that Penn State Creamery in about a week ;-).
3 comments:
I hope you find a studio at state college, Molly :) You feel about dance the way I felt about tennis at one point in my life... it's crazy, isn't it?
Hope you're getting pumped for state college, in general!
I love you I feel similarly! Only with tap not ballet!
Good luck finding a good dance studio, Moll Moll. I am sure it will make you happy at least as much as the ice cream would. Ahh, creamery ice cream sounds good right now :) When are you moving to State College?
Post a Comment