Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Living for the weekends!

I have never had a longer string of weekends where I am nowhere near the place that I live. Since September 18, I have not spent a weekend in State College, and I won't again until Oct 29th. I was talking to one of my friends about this, and I had pretty much decided that I was spending so many weekends away because I don't have enough friends in State College yet to keep me occupied. I also am in a different part of the state than I normally am, and so I can visit places more easily from here than I could from Erie (Philadelphia, York, Maryland, etc). My friend retaliated by saying that I wouldn't make any friends in State College if I spent all of my weekends away from here. Touche, Jess, touche. I used to stay in Erie because that's where my life was, that's where my friends were, that's the place that I felt at home, and State College won't start feeling at home until I make it my home. It's a rough balance. Because, while I love traveling and seeing people that I love dearly, I also want new people in my life to be able to visit in the future. Traveling is also exhausting, and expensive, and I have spent a few late Sunday nights completing homework because of my weekends away. But variety is the spice of life, right? And I've certainly been having fun :-)

Since September 18th, I have spent at least a night in Philadelphia, Erie, and Polk (all PA cities/towns). Before October 30, I will have added York PA and Middle River MD to my list. The only place on that list that I had ever been to before this month was Erie. I have visited and will visit friends that I haven't seen in a very long time. I'm especially excited for this weekend, where I will go Hayride-ing and pumpkin-carving with some of my friends from Indiana this summer, as a mini-ex-Cummins-Interns-Reunion. So awesome.

Well, if I don't spend enough time here now, I certainly will when it starts to snow and I'm stuck here. Maybe then I'll start feeling like I'm at home :-)

No comments: