Sunday, January 30, 2011

This semester vs. last

This semester is, so far, a million times better than last. But it's also busier. Funny how that happens.

My classes are ME 513 (Convection) and ME 522 (Fluids 2). Last semester I took Conduction and Fluids 1. So far, Convection is much, much, much easier, slower-paced, and has less homework than Conduction did. And Fluids 2 is pretty much the same as Fluids 1, except the homework tends to take longer (or I'm just spending more time on it...one of the two...). I have a homework buddy that helps keep me motivated to stay on task most of the time, he even was able to get me to do homework on my birthday! I sometimes wish I had more homework buddies though...occasionally we get visitors from our class on Thursday nights (homework is due Fridays), but not too often. I miss our Fluids 1 study group, they were the best!

Work has more responsibilities, and so that's slightly stressful, but I am keeping it so that my "work stays at work," as a good friend put it last week. It's absolutely necessary not to think about, stress over, and worry about what needs to get done at work while I am not at work. Otherwise, life will be miserable, because there are ALWAYS things I could be doing. When I leave work (and a conscious decision needs to be made to leave...otherwise I could find myself spending way too much time there), I change my focus to either homework, eating, or (rarely) doing fun things. I know that there will always be things to get done, deadlines to hit, and I will work as hard as I can to hit those in a reasonable amount of time. And if I don't...oh well. There are other things that define my life. Keeping myself sane is much more important than getting this stuff done. Orders of magnitude more important. If I were to do a dimensional analysis on this, the research would not even exist on the importance scale.

I also am enjoying not having two jobs. I've been keeping track of my hours spent on things this semester, and compared to last semester I spend a teeny bit more time on work than I did combined with my two jobs last semester (like, 2 hours a week more...barely counts). But I don't have to run around back and forth between offices/buildings/class. It's nice. And I have fun at work. Last week I got silicone in my hair and got to spend time on a ladder. Way better than grading homework. It's good stuff.

I will be in Erie on February 11-13. Pray for safe travels, and no snow storms.

3 comments:

Amanda Wood said...

Moll Moll, I love you! So glad this semester is going better than last. We might be able to do something Saturday evening. We have sled riding with our youth group Friday night, and Saturday around 2 ish I have a photo shoot with Kat Ritenour and other "brides on ice" should be interesting and fun. I hope I get to see you that weekend :)

Sky said...

yay! you picked the right weekend!

and i'm glad everything seems to be going well :-)

Moll moll said...

Amanda and Sky - Let's do something as a group, like sledding or ice skating or dinner-ing or bowling. Your husbands are also invited, of course :-) I still need to hash out the scheduling though...since I won't have a car. Blah.