I don't like them. I have a strong thing against them, actually. On Thursday I was incredibly frustrated after a meeting with my adviser, when she told me and the other grad student who is working with me that she wants 6 tests done before Tuesday. Let me break this down for you about how impossible this is:
1. Traditionally, running a single test has been a commitment of 10+ hours at least. Doing 6 tests, therefore, would theoretically take (if everything goes as it has before), 60 hours. Technically it can be done faster if we get really good at our jobs suddenly. But for right now, the estimate is 60.
2. There are 5 days between Thursday and Tuesday.
3. There is a weekend between Thursday and Tuesday.
4. There are other things that need to be done BEFORE we do three of those tests.
5. I have homework. And things in my life other than this job. I like to occasionally eat, sleep, and hang out with my friends.
So, on Thursday afternoon (at 3pm...so the working day was already almost over...), I had 60+ hours of work to look forward to between that moment and Tuesday. I was upset. Visibly upset, at that moment in time. I fumed about it the rest of the night.
Impossible goal. I WILL NOT work 60 hours in 5 days, over my weekend. I will not do it. And I haven't. But I did go into work today for 6 hours, and I am planning on going in tomorrow for about 2 hours...even though technically I should get the weekends off.
It's just frustrating. I like my job, I do have fun while I'm at work, I like my project, and I think my adviser is very good at advising ... but I can't hit impossible goals. Let me work at the (already ridiculously fast) pace I am going at. 6 tests can be done in about 2 weeks. Let us take that time to do it correctly. And let me leave work once in awhile to enjoy the rest of my life.
On a happier note, last night I went to the Creamery and ate delicious ice cream. Dave and I discovered bunnies. By 9:00 last night, I kind of understood my fluids homework after 2 weeks of floundering in it. And today I get to do ballet. Life is good.
A Lighter Soul
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment