Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Rejection...

...It's not fun. I got a phone call today telling me that I didn't get the job for the Edison Program that I interviewed for last week.

Although I was struggling with this job and the possibility of foregoing my teaching dreams for awhile in order to work at GE for a few years, I still really wanted to get the job. How sweet of an opportunity is it to have a job offer before starting my senior year?? And being able to work in an intensely focused engineering position and switch jobs every 6 months to see what it is I'd like? Awesome. Because I honestly have no idea...the teaching thing is just something that came to me one day out of nowhere and I've been running with it because I had no other clues what there was to do.

It was a good interviewing experience, nonetheless. The only two jobs I have intensely interviewed for (Camp Notre Dame and Edison) I have been rejected from, whereas the quickie phone interview jobs I've gotten. Apparently I'm bad at interviewing in person, especially when there are 4 or more people interviewing me. Oh wells. Practice makes perfect, I guess, and now I've had a few more practices than most other people my age. The next round of interviews that comes around, I am SO going to kick its butt!

Also funny to note, is that the only two jobs I have REALLY wanted I have been rejected from, and I've gotten offered every single other job I've applied for (and didn't really want). I didn't want to work at GE as an intern, I just applied because my mom made me and Camp Notre Dame rejected me. And it turned out wonderfully :-). Although I was incredibly skeptical going in...

So no GE job next year = grad school = no money = no car next year. Perfect :-).

I just got a text from a friend I worked with this summer that says "God knows what's best." Funny, I don't even know if he's a Christian and really believes that, or if he was just catering to what he knows to be my beliefs. But it's so so true :-). I will end up where I am meant to be, because I don't make the rules.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I highly doubt you suck at "in-person" interviews. I'm sure you're quite good indeed...but, sometimes, it's just not meant to be, especially if there are a ton of candidates...the odds are just naturally against you, and God sometimes has other plans. But I'm sure they're totally awesome plans.
-Zack

Deg said...

When I was looking for jobs when I graduated, the ones I were pursuing fell apart (even the ones that looked like I'd get). But then one swooped in out of the blue and I believe it was the best possible job for me.

I think God wants us to do the work of interviewing and applying, but also wants to show He's the one that gives the jobs.