Okay, so two nights ago I created a very frantic (yet true to character) post in the heat of my nervousness about how much I hate career fairs. Really, they're not all that bad. But for me, it has the same effect that flying does. Weeks, days, and moments before the ordeal begins I get super nervous and worked up, but then as soon as it starts I calm down and everything goes smoothly. Yesterday, I spent 2 hours at the career fair for the College of Engineering, which took place in the lovely Nittany Lion Inn. Here's a picture:
Isn't it so pretty? It's also really pretty on the inside -- which helped immensely to remove my jitters. I was here once for a Society of Women Engineers conference as an undergrad in 2008, and once for my ballet recital this past November. Overall, I think it's one of the sweeter things about this town, like an old-style fancy hotel that makes you feel like you're back in the 1920s.
Anyway, I learn a lot about myself every time I go to a career fair. Usually it involves learning about how I interact with complete strangers. For example, I learned yesterday that I really need to get warmed up before I can have a real conversation with a stranger who might possibly be judging me based solely on my outward appearance to decide whether or not to grant me an interview the next day. The first 2 companies that I spoke to (Army Research Lab and MIT Lincoln Laboratory), I was a complete mess. Although, some of that I would have to blame on the recruiters who just took my resume, said nothing, and watched me flounder with the correct words to say for 2 minutes before finally interrupting, handing me a brochure, and telling me to search for a job online. By the time I got to the 3rd employer (General Dynamics - Electric Boat ... they make submarines!), however, things started to brighten for me. The recruiter was friendly and conversational, and she (of course, it was a she. The girl recruiters are SO MUCH BETTER than the awkward engineering men they send) gave me lots of really useful information about her company, asked me to talk a little bit about myself ... but also told me to apply online. I got better as I talked to more employers. Then finally, the very last employer I talked to (Bechtel ... they also make submarines!) offered me an interview the next day. And I only talked to them on a whim because they were close to the door and had no line and I ran into boy on the way out and he said he had gotten an interview there, and clearly I had to show him up. Score. It's probably because I looked pretty spiffy in my suit, which I got to wear again today to my interview.
| We traveled 4 hours to go to this career fair at University Park - September 2009 |
| Roomies snazzy for a career fair at Behrend in October 2009 |
Note: I have since bought another dress shirt to wear with the suit, so I haven't been wearing exactly the same clothes for 3 years. But mostly. Same jacket and pants, and I do wear the shirt too when I decide to. But the pants are too big now. Sad face.
Basically the general trend is that not many people were actually hiring, and most of them said to apply online and then if there was a need I'd get contacted. Yeah, okay, I am pretty sure I'll never hear from them again. Sidebar: All this talk about completely cutting defense research and oil drilling and mining makes me angry, mostly because I can see from this career fair that doing either of those two things will completely destroy the economy more than it already has been (probably half of all the jobs there were from one of these categories). We have a few jobs left, let's not get rid of those please -- except in the case that world peace breaks out or if somebody discovers a magical endless nonpolluting supply of energy that's efficient and reliable and inexpensive. We need to start creating new jobs first. Which we aren't right now. Okay sidebar done.
Also, I have a new least-favorite interview question: "Tell me about a time when you experienced a problem or a crisis, and how did you solve the problem and overcome it?" I guess I just need to come up with a stock answer for that, because basically it's been asked of me at least 5 times in the past 4 months, and I have had a different, vague, lame answer each time. I don't think somebody not pulling their share on a class project counts as a crisis. But that's the example I used today. Great. Now I seem lame. And for those of you who are reading this and are looking for jobs -- I hope you're more prepared for this question than I was.
Also also, I'm not very professional when I interview ... I tend to smile and laugh, use my hands to tell stories, and say the word "awesome" a lot. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. But today, the guy who was interviewing me gave me very positive feedback, so I think it must work. Other than the fact that they didn't actually have a job position open.
Even though I got only 1 interview out of probably 10 employers I talked to, I'm not incredibly worried. I've been blessed with many awesome job opportunities that look great on a resume. I have an excellent GPA. I am a woman in a very male-dominated field (still don't know how I feel about that giving me an edge...but it does nonetheless). I can get great recommendations from everyone I've ever worked for. I am an excellent employee. I'm cute and smile a lot. I'm not as socially awkward as many engineers. People want to hire me. Yesterday, a lady from GE in Erie called my adviser and asked her for my resume, just because she knew I existed. That's also how I got my interviews at Pratt and ARL. I can call my old boss at GE and ask him for my job back. I could do the same with my job at Cummins. Kind of reinforces the idea that people generally get jobs through proper networking and knowing the right people, not necessarily going out there and applying to every job posting anonymously via the internet. The lesson here, kids? Ask the people you know about job opportunities they hear about, and ask them to give you a personal recommendation. And keep in contact with your former employers and coworkers.
Right now there's this job I've been interviewing for here in State College at ARL that seems like the coolest job on the face of the planet (nuclear power for Navy submarines? Being able to apply my heat transfer knowledge from grad school to a steam powered underwater turbine? COOL!). And as a worst-case scenario, it honestly wouldn't be too terrible living back at home for a few months while I look for a job. Not a big deal. And probably, a much-needed vacation. What I've got is too many options. For all you math people out there: I need boundary conditions (although some would argue that I have too many boundary conditions since I have location preferences coupled with job type preferences coupled with the need to pay my bills). Somebody please just make a decision for me.
Also I found out this week that there is ANOTHER career fair next week. Oh joy. I guess it's a good thing -- Penn State is great at attracting employers and getting their students hired. That being said, it's time to get nervous again.
1 comment:
I'm so glad it went better than expected! The interview question I hate is "What is your biggest flaw?" or something like that. I'm like, I don't know how I'm supposed to answer that!
Also, you should totally have a mini vacation before you move far away. I waited a month to look for a job and I got the first (and only) one to which I applied.
Post a Comment