Tonight, boy and I walked to Chipotle for dinner. It's probably about a mile walk from his apartment and from where I work. We ate dinner and it was delicious -- I am quite addicted to Chipotle. We noted that the sky looked scary, but decided to start the walk back home after dinner. We made it about a block before the sky opened up and started pouring. The wind was blowing sideways, the streets were filling up with water (so were my shoes), and we had no umbrella to keep us dry (although I was wearing a rain coat, which worked for a little while but eventually the hood blew off and water got inside). We kept walking faster and faster, while laughing all the way about the complete ridiculousness of it. It's surprisingly hard to see when it's raining that hard. I'm really glad we didn't get hit by a car. We kind of looked and felt like this:
We should have done this:
Needless to say, we were completely drenched by the time we made it back to his apartment, we might as well had gone swimming with our clothes on. And the streets around his apartment were complete rivers, it was insane! We spent the rest of the night watching the storm from his front porch.
It was lots of fun.
There's just something about getting caught in the rain that's freeing -- like you've surrendered. At some point we had to make the decision to either stop walking and duck under something that could protect us, or surrender to the fact that we're going to get wet and keep walking. Once we had given up on all hope of making it back with any inch of us dry, I was free to jump in all the puddles I wanted! It's better that way: there are some things in life that you have to surrender to in order to keep moving forward. I usually am trying to figure out what it is that God wants me to surrender to Him. Usually the answer: everything.
Anyways, I'm sad that I didn't take any pictures of the rain to share (even if I had my camera on that trip, it would have been destroyed as soon as it left my pocket). But here is a neat picture of a huge thunderstorm/tornadoes(?) in State College a few years ago:


1 comment:
Yay for getting soaked! That needs to happen to everyone every now and again.
Post a Comment