I got a computer virus in June, and have since tried to get rid of it to no avail. And it's the trojan horse kind, which apparently goes out from your computer, finds other little viruses and brings them back. Or something like that. Either way, right now my virus protection software tells me there are somewhere on the order of 200 little viruses floating around in my temporary drive. I go delete them almost daily, but they keep coming back. And more and more appear each time.
Yes, I could uninstall and reinstall Windows on my computer, and yes that would probably solve the problem, but I don't know how to do it by myself and every time I see someone who does I get distracted and forget. One of my new grad school friends and I have been trying to schedule a "reinstall Windows party" for a few weekends now, and it just hasn't happened. It also is terrifying to me to completely wipe my computer clean of everything I've been filling it with for 4 years, and trusting in the little external hard-drive I bought on a whim one day in May to save me. The hard-drive is small and purple. Can it really hold the key to saving my computer?
Anyway, just now I got a warning that says the memory in my C:// drive is dangerously low, and I should delete some files to make room for more. Which means that the teeny virus has multiplied to the point where it's slowing down my computer, and tomorrow it may or may not be able to turn on (my guess, based off of absolutely nothing scientific). So to that, I say adieu, dear computer. I hardly knew ye. It was a good four years. Luckily, I can pay 1/10th of the price that I paid for this one and get a computer with 572380 times the computing power. And I do have my files saved on that little purple hard-drive. So I don't think anything too terrifying will happen. Maybe. Who knows. For all I know, this thing will be kicking for another 4 years.
Still, it's nice to pay tribute to a dear friend.
A Lighter Soul
11 years ago
2 comments:
Aw sad ): Libby's computer crashed this week as well...poor things are dropping left and right.
Actually, I need to make a correction to the caption. Its first home was Almy 320, not Almy 318. Its second home was Almy 318. It's so confusing, since the rooms were practically identical and two doors down from one another.
Almy was the best place to live. Ever.
Post a Comment